Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How do you make install packages for linux programs you make?

I know absolutely nothing about linux application development, and am a C++ programmer. What I mean is that I'm not familiar with linux's API nor how to create deployment packages.


Do the packages have to be unique for every flavour of linux?


Once I compile an application, what am I supposed to do next. What if it has a GUI, not using wxWidgets (as well as using wxWidgets)


I've tried googling with not much success.

How do you make install packages for linux programs you make?
Usually the formats for source code that is distro free are either compressed on bzip2 or tar.gz files. You may need filters capable of converting to these type of files in order to get the source code packed. Also you need to make a "configure" and "make" script (one of each) in order to get the software installed on the system in order to run it.





Hope this info gives you some ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment